COMMUNITY EVENTS UPDATE:
Langley City has had to make the tough decision not to host our annual Magic of Christmas Event in 2021, however, we have a number of activities listed below that you and your family can participate in. Stay tuned to our site for information updates throughout the month of December.
Thank you for your support and understanding as we navigate this constantly evolving event, and work together for the health and safety of our staff, residents, and our community.
Take part in the Christmas colouring contest and enter to win one of six $25 downtown dollars gift certificates.
Contest opens on December 2, 2021; Deadline to enter is Friday, December 17.
CLICK HERE to download a copy of the colouring contest page.
How can my child participate?
- Download and print the colouring sheet - Available starting December 2, 2021
- Colour your entry
- Mail or bring your completed picture with entry form to this address: Langley Advance Times, 20258 Fraser Highway Langley BC V3A 4E6
Contest Entry Rules
- Open to participants ages 2-12
- One entry per person will be accepted
- Deadline to enter is Friday, December 17, 2021
- Winners will be drawn by random selection
- Prizes will be awarded to six (6) entries; prize awarded is twenty-five ($25) downtown dollars
Join Ally, Timmy and Doug, our Langley City Elves on the Shelf for their daily adventures as we countdown the days to Christmas. Each day their adventures will be posted on this page by approximately noon, and the Langley City Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts.
We're Back!! It's Ally, Timmy, and Doug your Langley City Elves on the Shelf. Join us again for the month of December as we share our experiences in our community as we countdown to Christmas. #LCelfontheshelf
Did you know Langley has a Christmas Bureau that supports families in Langley City and Langley Township? Ally, Doug and Timmy stopped by to drop off a donation in support of the Christmas Bureau. Learn more click here! #LCelfontheshelf
The Elves have been busy helping the parks crew set up the Holiday Lights at Douglas Park. Have you seen all of the lights in the park yet? #LCelfontheshelf
On this cold winter day the elves headed into Downtown Langley to enjoy a warm hot chocolate. How are you staying warm today? #LCelfontheshelf
The elves stopped by to pick up some holiday music to play and sing-a-long to this holiday season. What is your favourite Christmas song? #LCelfontheshelf
Have you finished your holiday baking for this year? Ally, Timmy and Doug decided to support a local Langley business and purchase some holiday treats to share with friends and family. #LCelfontheshelf
On a rainy day like today the elves like to meet with friends at Timms Community Centre. Did you know that Timms Community Centre has a Games Room available to pass holders where you can play table tennis, air hockey, pool tables, board and video games, and more. #LCelfontheshelf
Ally, Timmy, and Doug were out making music this morning at City Park using the new interactive public art installment, a twelve-note (one octave) glockenspiel. Next time you visit City Park take a few minutes to try it out. #LCelfontheshel
With only 16 days, and 15 sleeps, until Christmas the elves were busy around town today putting the finishing touches on any holiday decorations and Christmas trees they could see. Do you have your Christmas tree up already, or do you wait until only a few days before Christmas? #LCelfontheshelf
The elves found a workshop in Langley City to finish up a few last minute projects before Christmas. Have you finished all of your planned projects for 2021? #LCelfontheshelf
The elves are wishing they are away on vacation, sitting somewhere warm and enjoying a cold soda instead of watching the wind and the rain out the window. #LCelfontheshelf
While out testing toys, the elves took a raft on an adventure down the stream in Sendall Gardens. Do you think the raft stayed afloat or did it sink? #LCelfontheshelf
With only twelve days until Christmas the elves decided to try out a new mode of transportation, each taking their own car out on the town to finish up some of their errands. Which elf ended up with the best vehicle? #LCelfontheshelf
Have you finished your Christmas shopping? Timmy still has some gifts he needs to pick up so Ally and Doug are helping him search the map to find out where to go next. #LCelfontheshelf
Santa sent the elves his annual Christmas photo, so they decided to make a custom frame for it. Did you create any homemade gifts this year? #LCelfontheshelf
The elves stopped by Douglas Recreation Centre to inspect all of the play equipment for the Parent & Tot Roaming Rascals program that runs out of that facility on a weekly basis. The equipment came back in good working order and is safe for play! #LCelfontheshelf
Today the elves went caroling in different parks and plazas throughout the city. With only 8 days until Christmas they wanted to spread some holiday cheer. #LCelfontheshelf
On this snowy and rainy day the elves teamed up with Langley City Fire Rescue to be on alert in case help is needed. #LCelfontheshelf
With less than a week until Christmas the elves decided to take a break from holiday baking to go out for a walk to explore parks and trails in the City. Do you know where they are at this stop? Hint - built in 1888, a Heritage site, and close to Portage Park. #LCelfontheshelf
Timmy, Ally and Doug found the perfect holiday mugs to enjoy some hot cocoa on Christmas Day. Do you have a favourite holiday mug? #LCelfontheshelf
The elves have been inspired by the many art galleries in Langley City and decided to make some holiday crafts this morning. Do you attempt to make a holiday craft each year? #LCelfontheshelf
The elves are out enjoying one of the many parks and playgrounds in Langley City. Do you know which park has a slide that allows three people, or elves, to slide down at the same time and race? #LCelfontheshelf
With only two days left until Christmas, Timmy, Doug and Ally grabbed a few extra sweet treats to send to friends and family. #LCelfontheshelf
Merry Christmas Eve from Ally, Doug, Timmy and the Langley City Youth Council. We hope that we can welcome you back to the games room at Timms Community Centre in the New Year, in the meantime the elves are now using it to create their own zip line course. #LCelfontheshelf
Merry Christmas Langley City! Thanks for counting down the days until Christmas with us, we enjoyed spending time with you over the month of December and exploring your community. Have a safe and happy holiday season. #LCelfontheshelf
Enjoy the Holiday Lights in Langley City from the safety and comfort of your home or while out for a walk in our community.
Photographers are welcome to submit high-resolution (300 dpi or higher, .jpegs only) images to email@example.com to potentially be the featured photograph for the Langley City Council Annual Christmas Card for Christmas 2022.
The top three photos will receive $100 in Downtown dollars.
All entries must be original work, taken in Langley City, and entries that include any organization, business, or non-profit logo or name will not be accepted. Deadline to submit is January 15, 2022.
By submitting your photos, you are authorizing the City of Langley to use your image in our print and digital assets.
Thank you to everyone who participated in the Holiday Lights Scavenger Hunt. All prize basket winners have been notified. If you are interested in finding out if you had the correct answers, check out the Answers List below.
Take this opportunity to win one of three amazing prize baskets, valued at $800, filled with holiday treats, gift certificates for activities, gourmet foods, and more.
The scavenger hunt takes you along the path of the Holiday Lights walking tour, exploring Downtown Langley along the way. Answer as many of the ten (10) questions that you can, and submit your answers for a chance to win. Hint: The elves will be busy caroling soon, but to find out when you have to check out the Elf on the Shelf countdown to Christmas.
Holiday Lights Scavenger Hunt Answers List
- How many starts can you see in Innes Plaza? Two (2) - stars are located on the inside of the two giant lit up snowflakes
- How many presents can you find on the stage at Douglas Park? Three (3)
- How many candy canes are hanging in McBurney Plaza? Fourteen (14)
- How many green light bulbs are painted on the window at Timms? Five (5) - a few of you missed the one painted around the corner
- What does it say across the Spirit Square stage? Merry Christmas
- When the elves went caroling, how many days were there until Christmas? Eight (8) days - this was a tricky one that was a part of the Elf on the Shelf countdown to Christmas, but we did post a hint on the website for those trying to solve the puzzle.
- How many wreaths are hanging in Innes Plaza? Twelve (12) - the wreaths were hung at six locations, but two wreaths at each spot
- What instrument is the base of the City Christmas Tree? A Drum - it was built out of wood, but you had to go around to the side or the back to spot it as the presents blocked the view from the front.
- How many snowflakes can you see lit up in the windows of City Hall? Thirteen (13)
- Where is the City Christmas Tree located? Douglas Park Spirit Square - we tried to provide two hints, the tree on the map on the spirit square, and question #8 that talked about the drum at the base.
We hope everyone that participated enjoyed the scavenger hunt! Thank you for participating.
Download a copy of the Scavenger Hunt form to participate; copies are also available from the Langley Advance Times Newspaper on December 9 and December 16.
How can I play?
- Download the Scavenger Hunt Form (available at noon on December 9, 2021) or cut out the version released in the Langley Advance Newspaper on December 9 and December 16
- Go out on your own, or with your family and friends, and explore the Holiday Lights in Langley City; Holiday Lights map available under the Holiday Lights tab on this page.
- Submit your completed form by the entry deadline (December 20, 2021); submissions are accepted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person to the front desk at Timms Community Centre, located at 20399 Douglas Crescent
- Note: participants must be 19 years and older to submit an entry form; a parent may submit an entry for a family.
What can I win?
- There will be three (3) prize baskets valued at $800 each awarded
Prize baskets are sponsored by:
How can I win?
- For each correct answer submitted on your form you will receive one entry for the draw; maximum of ten draw entries per person
- Winners will be selected by random draw
- The draw will take place on December 21, 2021, and winners will be contacted by email or phone.