For Immediate Release
Artists invited to submit artwork to be displayed in Downtown Langley City
Deadline for submission is January 5, 2024, at 3:30 pm
Langley City, BC – Langley City invites new and emerging artists/instructors in the Lower Mainland to create two complementary art pieces for the Spring Street Banner Program to be shown in the downtown area of Langley City. The artwork can be drawings, paintings, block printing, photographs, vectors, or illustrations.
“The City banner program supports local artists while enhancing the visual appeal of our community, capturing the dynamic, vibrant multiculturalism and local activities,” said Kim Hilton, Director of Recreation, Culture and Community Services.
Each of the two banners should draw inspiration from our local community, reflecting the character and charm of the City of Langley and the City's commitment to promoting active, healthy lifestyles through arts, culture, and recreation. The artwork should be simple, bold, and easily visible from street level. Each design will be replicated onto banners measuring 32 inches in width by 60 inches in height (both left and right).
- Preferred banner colours: Vivid, vibrant, and contrasting spring shades with adequate light and dark separation for legibility in low-light conditions.
- Artwork should be bold and easily distinguishable from a distance.
- It should reflect the season and period of the year.
- Fewer colours per design are preferred, with most designs utilizing two to three colours.
- Please limit the use of yellows and oranges; avoid pastels as they fade quickly.
- All colours (RGB, Pantone, LAB, etc.) should be converted to CMYK. Pantone colours can remain on a separate layer.
Artists should submit 8.5 x 11-inch templates with artwork scaled to reflect the finished product in a PDF format. Additionally, provide a brief write-up (maximum 1 page) explaining the details of the pieces and how they relate to this call. All submissions must be accompanied by a resume that indicates credentials and relevant experience.
Artist Compensation: The chosen artist will be paid $500 per banner (two total).
Accepted file formats:
- AI – PDF compatible file. Saved with the “compression option” on.
- EPS vector – resolution 300dpi at 25% of the banner size or 72dpi at 100% of the banner size. Saved with the “embed fonts for other applications” feature turned on.
- INDD (InDesign) package that contains all the necessary files.
- PDF – high-resolution images and fonts embedded. Saved with “preserve illustrator editing capabilities” on. TIFF or JPG – high resolution (300 dpi), all layers flattened.
- PSD with layers will allow corrections/adjustments. Don’t exceed 60MB file size limit*
Files over 60 MB slow down the pre-production process. Please check files for unnecessary components/layers & save at a setting that lowers file size or adjust artwork accordingly.
Selection and Completion Process Steps:
- Submission Deadline – January 5, 2024, at 3:30 pm Local Time.
- All submissions will be adjudicated by municipal staff.
- Artists may be invited to meet with the Jury to review the proposal(s).
- Successful artist will be notified by January 17, 2024.
The successful proposal will:
- Reflect some or all of the City vision/description for the artwork.
- Reflect the community values, diversity, and inclusivity of the people of the City of Langley
- Demonstrate originality and artistic merit.
- Be engaging and interactive.
- Enhance the visitors' experience.
All proposals must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org under the subject heading “2024-03 Spring Street Banner Program”. Electronic submission should be in PDF format.
Samantha Paulson, Communications Officer