The Langley RCMP is dedicated to protecting the citizens of the Langleys through the prevention and reduction of crime in partnership with the community. The ultimate goal of any police service is to make homes and neighbourhoods safe.
The Langley RCMP Detachment is certainly committed to this goal. Today, more than ever, crime has become increasingly complex and multi-jurisdictional in nature. In order to maximize effectiveness, the Langley RCMP provides an integrated police service in partnership with other police agencies and community partners. Our members understand that we must use our resources in a strategic manner so that the most pressing issues in our community are addressed. Policing priorities for the Langleys include property crime, drugs, youth prevention and education, traffic, and police visibility/partnerships. The detachment is fully engaged in a crime reduction strategy that targets repeat offenders, crime hot spots and crime drivers.
Reducing crime is not simply a police problem, but rather a community one. In order to achieve any measure of success that includes long-term, sustainable results, the police, citizens, community agencies, local businesses, local government, neighbouring police services and the courts need to work together. In addition to our regular members and staff, the Langley RCMP Detachment is complimented by a tremendous group of volunteers in a multitude of programs. Residents and business owners are encouraged to participate in these crime prevention programs to help keep their homes and businesses safe, including:
- Block Watch, a proven and successful RCMP run Crime Prevention Program, encourages neighbours to look out for each other, network and share information, thereby reducing crime and creating a sense of community ownership and connection with their neighbourhood. For more information contact the Langley RCMP Detachment Block Watch coordinator at 604-532-3213. View the BlockWatch handout.
- Business Link was established two years ago by the RCMP as a program designed to enhance communications between the police and the business community in order to reduce crime. Langley businesses can request a free security assessment and presentation to assist them in helping to protect their assets and create a safe environment. For more information, call the Business Link Coordinator at 604-532-3212.
- Crime-Free Multi-Housing Program (CFMH) is designed to help owners, managers, residents, police and other agencies work together to keep illegal and nuisance activity off the multi-family property. The RCMP has a long-standing success with this program. For more information, on Crime-Free Multi-Housing call the Coordinator at 604 514-2870.
To find out more about volunteering with Langley RCMP, visit Langley Detachment Web Site or the Langley City Community Policing Office, 20408 Douglas Crescent, Langley, BC, V3A 4B4 Phone (604) 514-2870, Fax (604) 530-4422.
Langley RCMP also has some educational crime prevention handouts for residents and businesses to download, including:
- Your Home Your Security
- Top 10 Ways to Protect Vehicle & Belongings
- Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED)
For more information on the Royal Canadian Mounted Police please visit their official website.